Our publications are grouped into the following research areas: Employment, Discrimination and Violence, Gender, Mental Health, Monitoring inequalities and Policy.
If you would like a copy of any of these publications, please contact us at:
Employment and Disability
- Devine A, Vaughan C & Kavanagh A. ‘If I had stable housing I would be a bit more receptive to having a job’. Factors influencing the effectiveness of Disability Employment Services reform. Work 2020;65(4):775-787. 10.3233/WOR-203130
- Devine A, Dickinson H, Brophy L, Kavanagh A & Vaughan C. ‘I don’t think they trust the choices I will make’ – Narrative analysis of choice and control for people with psychosocial disability within reform of the Australian Disability Employment Services program. Public Management Review 2019: July https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2019.1648700
- Milner A, King TL, LaMontagne AD, Aitken Z, Petrie D & Kavanagh A. Underemployment and its impacts on mental health among those with disabilities: evidence from the HILDA cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health 2017; 71:1198-1202. 10.1136/jech-2017-209800
- Milner A, Aitken Z, Byars S, Butterworth P & Kavanagh A. Do gender and psychosocial job stressors modify the relationship between disability and sickness absence: An investigation using 12 waves of a longitudinal cohort. Scand J Work Environ Health 2019: Dec. doi:10.5271/sjweh.3865
- Milner A, Shields M, King T, Aitken Z, LaMontagne AD & Kavanagh A. Disabling working environments and mental health: A commentary. Disabil Health J. 2019: June. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.06.002
- Milner A, King T & Kavanagh A. The mental health impacts of health and human service work: Longitudinal evidence about differential exposure and susceptibility using 16 waves of cohort data. Prev Medicine 2019 June: 100826. 10.1016/j.pmedr.2019.100826
- Milner A, Taouk Y, Disney G, Aitken Z, Rachele J & Kavanagh A. Employment predictors of exit from work among workers with disabilities: A survival analysis from the household income labour dynamics in Australia survey. Plos One 2018: Dec. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0208334
- Milner A, Witt K, LaMontagne AD, Niedhammer I. Authors’ reply: ‘Response to: ‘Psychosocial job stressors and suicidality: a meta-analysis and systematic review’ by Milner et al’. Occup Environ Med. 2018 Jan 27. pii: oemed-2018-104997. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2017-104531
- Niedhammer I, Milner A, Witt K, Klingelschmidt J, Khireddine-Medouni I, Alexopoulos EC, Toivanen S, Chastang JF, LaMontagne AD (2018). Response to letter to the editor from Dr Rahman Shiri: The challenging topic of suicide across occupational groups. Scand J Work Environ Health 2018: Jan 1;44(1):108-110. doi:10.5271/sjweh.3698
- Xu T & Stancliffe RJ. An evaluation of employment outcomes achieved by transition to work service providers in Sydney, Australia. J Intellectual & Developmental Disability. 2019: 44(1), 51-63. https://doi.org/10.3109/13668250.2017.1310809
- Zhou Q, Llewellyn G, Stancliffe R & Fortune N. Working-age people with disability and labour force participation: geographical variations in Australia. Aust J Social Issues. 2019: Sep. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajs4.75
Discrimination, Violence and Disability
- Emerson E, Milner A, Aitken Z, Vaughan C, Llewellyn G, & Kavanagh A.
Exposure to discrimination and subsequent changes in self-rated health: prospective evidence from the UK’s Life Opportunities Survey. Public Health 185 (2020) 176-181.
- Emerson E, Milner A, Aitken Z, Krnjacki L, Vaughan C, Llewellyn G & Kavanagh A. Overt acts of discrimination reported by British working age adults with and without disability. J Public Health. 2019 September fdz093, https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdz093
- Emerson E, Krnjacki L, Llewellyn G, Vaughan C & Kavanagh A. Perceptions of safety and exposure to violence in public places among working age adults with disabilities or long-term health conditions in the UK: cross sectional study. Public Health, 2016 Jun: 135: 91-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2015.10.036
- Kavanagh AM, Priest N, Emerson E, Milner A & King T. Gender, parental education and experiences of bullying victimization by Australian adolescents with and without a disability. Child: Care Health Dev. 2018 Mar; 44(2);332-341. https://doi.org/10.1111/cch.12545
- King T, Aitken Z, Milner A, Emerson E, Priest N, Karahalios A, Kavanagh AM & Blakely T. To what extent is the association between disability and mental health in adolescents mediated by bullying? A causal mediation analysis. Int J Epidemiol, 2018 Oct 1; 47(5):1402-1413. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyy154
- Krnjacki L, Priest N, Aitken Z, Emerson E, Llewellyn G, King T & Kavanagh A. Disability-based discrimination and health: findings from an Australian-based population study. Aust NZ J Public Health 2018: 42:2, 172-174. https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12735
- Krnjacki L, Emerson E, Llewellyn G & Kavanagh A. Prevalence and risk of violence against people with and without disabilities in Australia: findings from an Australian population-based study. Aust NZ J Public Health. 2016 Feb; 40(1):16-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12498
- Llewellyn G, Vaughan C & Emerson E. Discrimination and the health of people with intellectual disabilities. In Hatton C & Emerson E. (eds) Health Disparities and Intellectual Disabilities. International Review of Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2015: 48; 43-72. New York: Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.irrdd.2015.03.005
- Rachele JN, Disney G, Milner A, Emerson E, Krnjacki L & Kavanagh A. Violence and mental health: does disability make a difference? Int J Epidemiology. 2020: 1 Jan, 31(1):e6-e7. https://doi.org/10.1097/ede.0000000000001119
Gender and Disability
- Arculi J, Emerson E & Llewellyn G. Self-report of school satisfaction: The interaction between disability and gender. School Psychology Quarterly 2019; 34(2), 148-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/spq0000275
- Bollier AM, King T, Austin SB, Shakespeare T, Spittal M & Kavanagh A. Does sexual orientation vary between disabled and non-disabled men? findings from a population-based study of men in Australia. Disability & Society 2019 Dec. 10.1080/09687599.2019.1689925
- Bollier AM, King T, Hocking J, Shakespeare T & Kavanagh A. Sexual functioning in men with and without disability: Findings from a representative sample of Australian males. J Sex Med 2019 Aug. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsxm.2019.07.021
- Kavanagh AM, Aitken Z, Emerson E, Sahabandu S, Milner A, Bentley R, LaMontagne A, Pirkis J & Studdert, D. Inequalities in socio-economic characteristics and health and wellbeing of men with and without disabilities: a cross-sectional analysis of the baseline wave of the Australian Longitudinal Study on Male Health. BMC Public Health 2016 Oct 31; 16 (Suppl 3):1042. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3700-y
- King T, Shields M, Milner A, Vaughan C, Shakespeare T, Currier D, Kavanagh A. Conformity to masculine norms: differences between men with and without a disability. Psychology of Men & Masculinities 2019: Sep 19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/men0000236
Mental health and Disability
- Devine A, Vaughan C, Kavanagh A, Dickinson H, Byars S, Dimov S, Gye B & Brophy L. “I’m proud of how far I’ve come. I’m just ready to work”: mental health recovery narratives within the context of Australia’s Disability Employment Services. BMC Public Health, 20: 325 (2020), https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-8452-z
- Aitken Z, Simpson J, Gurrin L, Bentley R & Kavanagh AM. Do material, psychosocial and behavioural factors mediate the relationship between disability acquisition and mental health? A sequential causal mediation analysis. Int J Epidemiol, 2018, 47: 3 829–840. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyx277
- Aitken Z, Krnjacki L, Kavanagh AM, LaMontagne AM & Milner A. Does social support modify the effect of disability acquisition on mental health? A longitudinal study of Australian adults. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2017; 52 (10): 1247-11255. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-017-1418-5
- Aitken Z, Simpson J, Bentley R & Kavanagh AM. Disability acquisition and mental health: effect modification by demographic and socioeconomic characteristics using data from an Australian longitudinal study. BMJ Open, 2017; 7:e016953. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016953
- Clifton S, Llewellyn G & Shakespeare T. Quadriplegia, virtue theory and flourishing: a qualitative study drawing on self-narratives. Disability and Society, 2018, 33 (1): 20-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/09687599.2017.1379951
- Aitken Z, Simpson JA, Bentley R, Milner A, LaMontagne AD & Kavanagh A. Does the effect of disability acquisition on mental health differ by employment characteristics? A longitudinal fixed-effects analysis. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2019, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-019-01783-x
- Emerson E, King T, Llewellyn G, Milner A, Aitken Z, Arciuli J & Kavanagh A. Emotional difficulties and self-harm among British adolescents with and without disabilities: Cross sectional study. Disabil Health J. 2019 May 11. pii: S1936-6574(19)30091-3. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.04.007
- Hindmarsh G, Emerson E & Llewellyn G. Children of mothers with intellectual disabilities and their peers: Social and emotional well-being. J Intellectual Disability Research, 60(7-8), 2016; 683-683.
- Hindmarsh G, Llewellyn G & Emerson E. The social-emotional well-being of children of mothers with intellectual impairment: A population-based analysis. J Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 2017: 30(3), 469-481. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12306
- McAllister A. Mental illnesses are not an ‘ideal type’ of disability for disability income support: Perceptions of policymakers in Australia and Canada. Scand J Public Health 2019 Jan 11. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1403494818816903
- Milner A, Bollier AM, Emerson E & Kavanagh A. The relationship between disability and suicide: prospective evidence from the Ten to Men cohort. J Public Health (Oxf) 2018 Nov 5. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy197
- Milner A, Law P, Witt K, LaMontagne AD, Mann C. A smart phone intervention to address mental health stigma in the construction industry: A two-arm randomised controlled trial. SSM-Popul Health 2017 Dec 31; 4:164-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2017.12.007
- Karahalios A, Pega F, Aitken Z, Milner A, Simpson J & Kavanagh A. The cumulative effect of living with disability on mental health in working-age adults: an analysis using marginal structural models. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2019 Mar, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-019-01688-9
- King T, Milner A, Aitken Z, Karahalios A, Emerson E & Kavanagh A. Mental health of adolescents: variations by borderline intellectual functioning and disability. Euro Child & Adoles Psychiatry 2019: 13 Feb, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-019-01278-9
- King T, Shields M, Shakespeare T, Milner A & Kavanagh A. An intersectional approach to understandings of mental health inequalities among men with disability. SSM – Population Health 2019: Dec (9): 100464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2019.100464
- Clifton S, Fortune N, Llewellyn G, Stancliffe R & Williamson P. Lived Expertise and the Development of a Framework for Tracking the Social Determinants, Health, and Wellbeing of Australians with Disability. Scandinavian J Disability Research 2020: 22(1), 137–146. https://doi.org/10.16993/sjdr.688
- Fortune N, Badland H, Clifton S, Emerson E, Rachele J, Stancliffe RJ, Zhou Q & Llewellyn G. The Disability and Wellbeing Monitoring Framework: data, data gaps, and policy implications. Aust N Z J Public Health 2020 Apr 20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2016.05.011
- Emerson E, Fortune N, Aitken Z, Hatton C, Stancliffe R & Llewellyn G. The wellbeing of working-age adults with and without disability in the UK: Associations with age, gender, ethnicity, partnership status, educational attainment and employment status. Disabil Health J 2020: Feb. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100889
- Disney G, Gurrin L, Aitken Z, Emerson E, Milner A, Kavanagh A & Petrie D. Hierarchical models for international comparisons: a case study of smoking, disability and social inequality in 21 European countries. Epidemiology. 2019: Dec. 10.1097/EDE.0000000000001154
- Aitken Z, Baker E, Badland H, Mason K, Bentley R, Beer A & Kavanagh A. Precariously placed: Housing affordability, quality and satisfaction of Australians with disabilities. Disability & Society 2018: 22 Dec: 121-142. https://doi.org/10.1080/09687599.2018.1521333
- Kavanagh AM, Aitken Z, Baker E, LaMontagne AD, Milner A & Bentley R. Housing tenure and affordability and mental health following disability acquisition in adulthood. Soc Sci & Med 2016: Feb;151:225-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.01.010
- Kavanagh A, Devine A, Shields M. The health of people with disabilities. In Oxford Textbook of Global Public Health. Edited by Detels R, Quarraisha A, Baum F, Leyland A, Li L. Oxford: OUP (in press).
- Patton K, Ware R, McPherson L, Emerson E & Lennox N. Parent-Related Stress of Male and Female Carers of Adolescents with Intellectual Disabilities and Carers of Children within the General Population: A Cross-Sectional Comparison. J Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2018 Jan; 31(1), 51-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12292
- Llewellyn G. Parents with disabilities. In Handbook of Parenting – Social and Cultural Conditions of Parenting. Edited by Bornstein, MH. 3rd edition, Vol 4. pp. 234-273. 2019: Routledge, New York.
- Stancliffe RJ, Arnold SRC & Riches VC (2016). The supports paradigm. In RL Schalock & KD Keith (Eds.), Cross-cultural quality of life: Enhancing the lives of persons with intellectual disability (2nd ed.) (pp. 133-142). Washington DC: American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
Policy and Disability
- Kavanagh A. Disability and public health research in Australia. Aust NZ J Public Health 2020 25 June doi/10.1111/1753-6405.13003
- Carey G, Dickinson H & Kavanagh A. Disability care systems are primed to spread COVID-19; what can we do? Rapid Review. BMJ 2020 11 June;369:m1609 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1609
- Dickinson H, Carey G & Kavanagh A. Personalisation and pandemic: an unforeseen collision course? Disability & Society 2020 1 June. 10.1080/09687599.2020.1772201
- Carey G, Malbon E, Weier M, Dickinson H & Duff G. Making markets work for disability services: The question of price setting. Health & Social Care 2019 June. https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12780
- Carey G, Malbon E & Dickinson H. The vexed question of market stewardship in the public sector: examining equity and the social contract through the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme. Social Policy & Admin: Int J Policy & Research 2018 Jan; 52(1); 387-407. 10.1111/spol.12321
- Carey G, Malbon E, Reeders D, Kavanagh A & Llewellyn G. Redressing or entrenching social and health inequities through policy implementation? Examining personalised budgets through the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme. Int J Equity Health 2017; 16:192. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-017-0682-z
- Craven L, Dickinson H & Carey G (Eds). Boundary Crossing in Policy and Public Management: Tackling the Critical Challenges. 2018: Routledge, New York.
- Dickinson H. Individualised funding systems: What works? Evidence Base 2017 Oct: (3); 1-18. 10.21307/eb-2017-003
- Dickinson H & Carey G. Managing care integration during the implementation of large-scale reforms: The case of the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme. Journal of Integrated Care 2017; 25(1); 6-16. https://doi.org/10.1108/JICA-07-2016-0026
- Malbon E, Carey G & Dickinson H. Accountability in public service quasi-markets: The case of the Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme. Aust Journal of Public Administration 2018 Sep; 77 (3); 468-481. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8500.12246
- Malbon E, Carey G & Meltzer A. Personalisation schemes in social care: are they growing social and health inequalities? BMC Public Health 2019 24 Nov,19:805. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7168-4
- Malbon E, Alexander D, Carey G, Reeders D, Green C, Dickinson H & Kavanagh A. Adapting to a system: Network analysis of a personalisation scheme in early implementation. Health Soc Care Community 2019 Jan; 27(1):191-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12639
- Mellifont D & Smith-Merry J, Dickinson H, Llewellyn G, Clifton S, Raffaele M & Williamson P. The ableism elephant in the academy: a study examining academia as informed by Australian scholars with lived experience. Disability & Society 2019 Apr. 10.1080/09687599.2019.1602510
- Nevile A, Malbon E, Kay A & Carey G. The implementation of complex social policy: Institutional layering and unintended consequences in the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Aust J Public Admin 2019 April 29 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8500.12380
- Williams I & Dickinson H. Going it alone or playing to the crowd? A Critique of Individual Budgets and the Personalisation of Health Care in the English National Health Service, Aust J Public Administration, 2016 Jun; 75 (2):149-158. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8500.12155
- Hahn JE, Gray J, McCallion P, Ronneberg C, Stancliffe RJ, Heller T, Guiden CH, Fox S & Janicki MP (2016). Transitions in aging: Health, retirement, and later life: Review of research, practice and policy. In Critical issues in intellectual and developmental disabilities: Contemporary research, practice and policy (pp. 149-174). Washington, DC: American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.